Cradle Mountain Walks & Treks
If you crave to experience the solitude, the isolation and the raw beauty of a wild ancient land – then you have found it at Tasmania’s World heritage Listed Cradle Mountain – Lake St Clair National Park. The Cradle Mountain wilderness undoubtedly offers the best walking tracks in Tasmania - some would say even the World! In fact, this very special corner of Tasmania’s western wilderness is listed as a World Heritage Area that means, above all, it is preserved for all of time for all people.
There are many short, half day and full day Cradle Mountain walks and also hiking tracks at Lake St Clair to choose from taking you through the incredibly varied environments and terrains of the alpine high country beneath Cradle Mountain. Cradle Mountain itself is regularly climbed by tourists all year round. The summit offers spectacular views of Dove Lake, Mount Ossa (Tasmania’s highest peak) and offers incredible 360-degree panoramic views of an awe inspiring Jurassic landscape, carved out from glacial activity over the last ice age.
Nature lovers are spoilt for choice with plenty of incredible wilderness to explore and discover. Whether you take a 20-minute Enchanted Walk or take a day out to tackle the summit there is something for everyone here at Cradle Mountain. For the more adventurous there are multi-day walks such as the world famous Overland Track featuring comfortable accommodation along its path so that avid walkers can relive the excitement of the day in a warm alpine-style hut with great food and company. There are many tour operators in the area that offer fantastic Cradle Mountain treks including interesting commentary about the areas very special natural features.
If visiting this area is not yet on your bucket list – it definitely should be! It will be one of the most memorable and rewarding experiences of your life.
Cradle Mountain Walking Tracks
- Pencil Pine and Knyvet Falls - 20 minutes return
- Enchanted Nature Walk - 20 minutes return
- Weindorfers Forest Walk - 20 minutes return
- Dove Lake Circuit - 2 hours return
- Crater Fallls, Crater Lake and Wombat Pool - 2-3 hours return
- Cradle Mountain Summit - 6-8 hours
- Artists Pool, Lake Rodway - 6-8hrs return
Lake St Clair Walking Tracks
- Watersmeet - 1 hr return
- Platypus Bay - 1 hr return
- Larmairremener Tabelti Aboriginal Cultural Walk - 1 hr return
- Shadow Lake Circuit - 4-5 hrs return
- Lakeside Track - 4-6 hrs one way
- Mt Rufus - 5-7hrs return
- Do your research first! It is most important to be prepared for all weather conditions. Cradle Mountain – Lake St Clair National Park weather is well known for its unpredictable weather Please use common sense and always check the weather before you go.
- Notify someone of your plans before you leave, especially if you plan to do a trip longer than 10 minutes, its better to be safe than sorry.
- Many walks require prior registration and planning with local authorities and professional guides. Ask about Park Fees.
- For day trips, start by asking at the Cradle Mountain Visitors Centre - you will be guided to tracks that best match your abilities and fitness, all dependant of course, on the weather for the day.
- Bring plenty of water. It is recommended that you treat local water by boiling for at least 3 minutes before drinking. There is however, safe drinking water around the visitors centre.